After Mayor Promised to Disband CHOP, Anarchists Are Still Going Strong

More than a week ago, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said that a weekend filled with violence meant that it was time to put an end to the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP) and put downtown Seattle back into the hands of the adults. But according to a report from the Seattle Times this weekend, the city has taken little to no action towards making this occupation a thing of the past. Indeed, the paper reports that the anarchists and racial protesters occupying the zone are thinking about taking up residence outside the East Police Precinct, signaling no intention whatsoever of leaving the area.

Organizers have said that life in Cal Anderson Park, where the protesters have set up tent encampments, has grown unruly and difficult. They believe that the chaos of the park is hindering their abilities to move the city towards police reform. Somehow, moving the whole operation to the precinct that they’ve taken over is going to improve that effort.

Don’t ask us to explain it.

“Basically, it’s to bring the attention and the focus back onto why we’re here, occupy protesters, which is to get our demands met,” one organizer told the Seattle Times. “And the only way we can do that is to occupy this precinct right here.”

The paper reports that “the encampment has also drawn a fairly large homeless population,” which should come as no surprise whatsoever.

Well, we’re sure after the violence of last weekend that the armed security sentinels that roam the CHOP have got things totally under contr–

Oh, what do we have here?

From Monday morning’s Seattle Times:

One person was killed and another was wounded early Monday morning when they were shot in the protest area known as CHOP, in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Seattle police tweeted that the shooting happened near 12th Avenue and Pike Street.

Two people were brought to Harborview Medical Center with gunshot wounds, with one arriving in a private vehicle around 3:15 a.m. and the other brought in by Seattle Fire Department medics about 15 minutes later, according to an email from Harborview Medical Center spokesperson Susan Gregg.

As of 5:40 a.m., one patient had died and the other was in critical condition, according to Gregg, who said both patients were male.


How long are Seattle leaders going to stand aside and let their downtown area devolve into violent chaos? How powerful is the notion of “racial justice” that elected officials are unwilling to challenge even the most fundamental idiocies? If the situation in Seattle is an accurate preview of what’s to come all over this country, we are in big trouble.

About admin