CNN has been able to get away with nearly three years of lies, slander, and complete fake news with respect to Donald J. Trump, but their decision to viciously smear one of his young supporters could be the bear trap that finally snaps shut on their ludicrous organization. In an interview with Fox News host Mark Levin on Sunday, a lawyer for Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann said that after filing a $250 million lawsuit against the Washington Post, they were going after CNN next.
“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than the Washington Post,” said attorney L. Lin Wood. “And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes. They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false.”
Levin acknowledged that he’d seen videos from the internet – some posted and pointed out by Sandmann’s attorneys – that showed a much different story of the Lincoln Memorial confrontation than the mainstream media had portrayed in the first few days.
“Now you say you’ve seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong,” Wood said. “He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room. But you have a situation where CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him.
“The CNN folks were online on Twitter at 7 a.m. retweeting the little one-minute propaganda piece that had been put out,” he continued. “They’re out there right away going after this young boy. And they maintain it for at least two days. Why didn’t they stop and just take an hour and look through the Internet and find the truth and then report it? Maybe do that before you report the lies.”
We have our doubts about how successful Sandmann’s attorneys will be in extracting a judgement from CNN or the Washington Post, simply because the libel laws in the U.S. heavily favor news organizations. In many cases, this is for the best – you don’t want a situation where newspapers and reporters are afraid to get a single syllable wrong because they could be sued into oblivion.
That said, the monstrous coverage of Sandmann, the Covington Catholic teens, and their confrontation with fake Vietnam veteran Nathan Philipps was a bridge beyond. If ever there was a prime example of malicious, intentionally reckless, fake news coverage, this story is it. As much as we have our suspicions about CNN and the Washington Post being able to sneak out of this unscathed, the courts could surprise us this time around. There is every justification in the world for a settlement, especially since none of these organizations have properly apologized or corrected their original stories.
At the very least, we can hope that the mere threat of civil liability will force these news organizations back into nodding acquaintance with the truth. God knows, nothing else has worked.